Mahendra Singh Dhoni, the former captain of the Indian cricket team, is one of a most recognizable name in the cricketing fraternity mainly because of his success as a captain, also he the captain cool has some amazing records in his name as an individual.
MS Dhoni captaincy records are something which any would love to have in his name as a skipper, the kind of feat he has achieved in his prolonged career.
He has captained the Indian side in limited-overs from 2007 to 2016 and in the longer format from 2008 to 2014, and the attacking right-handed middle-order batsman cum wicket-keeper has given his country many trophies and many unforgettable moments to cherish.
The 38-year-old cricketer was born on 7 July 1981 in Ranchi, Jharkhand to parents Pan Singh Dhoni and Devaki Dhoni. Initially Dhoni had interest in badminton and football and played both the games in school level, but was later insisted to take up cricket by the school football coach.
MS Dhoni Best record to win all the major tournaments of ICC, mainly 50-overs World Cup, T20 World Cup and Champions Trophy along with three IPL titles and two Champions League T20 titles Dhoni wins as a captain.
The captain cool has been one of the finest players to play cricket, his sheer class with the willow and his street smart ideas behind the stumps prove his mettle in the world of cricket.
Arguably he is the best ever captain for the Men In Blue in all formats, along with his brilliant captaincy, MS Dhoni Captaincy records are such which is a dream for any captain to achieve.
MS Dhoni records in cricket is a gift for the cricket fans which they will worship forever.
MS Dhoni captaincy Records:
1. Dhoni has captained India in a total of 331 matches (60 Tests, 199 ODIs and 72 T20Is) which is the highest by any captain across all the formats of the game.
He surpasses the former Australia captain Ricky Ponting, who has a total of 324 matches in his credit, during a T20 match against Zimbabwe in 2016.
Dhoni holds a unique record of being the only captain who has led his country to 50 or more international matches in each format of the game.
2. Dhoni holds another unique and most vital record of his career as a captain. As he is the only captain to have won all the three major ICC limited-overs tournaments.
He won the T20 World Cup in 2007 defeating Pakistan by 5 runs. He won the 50-overs World Cup in 2011 defeating Sri Lanka by 6 wickets. He won the Champions Trophy in 2013 defeating England by 5 runs.
Dhoni captained India in six finals of the limited-overs tournament, which involved the participation of five or more teams, and India has won in four of them, which is a joint record held by Dhoni.
3. Dhoni is the only wicket-keeper captain who has led his team in more than 100 international matches. He has been the captain of India for 331 matches. The second best wicket-keeper captain is Mushfiqur Rahim of Bangladesh, who has captained 76 matches in all formats.
4. Dhoni is the first wicket-keeper to have 150 stumping dismissals to his name. In fact, he holds the record of most number of stumping dismissals in international cricket which is 161. He has 148 stumping dismissals in 439 matches as a captain.
5. Dhoni is known for his hard-hitting and power finishing ability. He is also famous for hitting the winning runs by a six. As a captain, he has hit the most international sixes which is 204.
6. Dhoni also holds the record of bowling the maximum number of times in international cricket while being a wicket-keeper.
MS Dhoni captaincy records in Test Format:
MS Dhoni test records are something that changes the mentality of the team in this longer format of the game.
1. The most notable Test record for Dhoni as a captain was that he took his time to the Rank 1 in the Test rankings for the first time in 2009.
2. From his debut as a Test captain, Dhoni has the record for the longest unbeaten run with 8 wins and 3 draws (total 11) in Tests, surpassing the former Australian captain Warwick Armstrong who had 10.
3. Dhoni is also the first Indian wicketkeeper who has made more than 4000 runs in the longer format of the game.
4. Dhoni has the greater number of Test wins as a captain with 27 wins, surpassing Sourav Ganguly’s best of 21 wins.
5. Dhoni has also got a bad record as an Indian captain to have lost 15 overseas Test matches.
Do you guys agree with the Rating? let us know in the comment section.
6. Dhoni scored his first Test century (148) against Pakistan at Faisalabad, which is regarded as the fastest century by any Indian wicketkeeper and the record is fourth overall from the entire world.
7. Dhoni hit more than 50 sixes as an Indian captain, and the 50th one was against England in the third test match in Southampton.
8. Dhoni shares a joint record with Syed Kirmani for the highest number of dismissals (6) in an innings, and all total 9 dismissals in a match by an Indian wicketkeeper.
9. Dhoni has the highest number of dismissals (294), which is a record in the list of Indian wicketkeepers.
10. Dhoni is the second wicketkeeper after Denis Lindsay of South Africa, to have 6 dismissals in an innings and score fifty runs in both the innings of the same Test match.
11. Dhoni made 224 against Australia in Chennai, which is the third-highest score by an Indian captain. He surpassed the previous score of 192 made by Indian wicketkeeper Budhi Kundera and also surpassed 164 made by wicketkeeper-captain Englishman Alec Stewart.
MS Dhoni Captaincy Records in ODI Format:
In Indian cricket, MS Dhoni is the most successful captain till now and MS Dhoni ODI records are such which will be cherished forever by the Indian cricket fans.
1. Dhoni has won 110 ODI matches as captain of India, second to Australia’s Ponting who won 165 matches. The next best Indian captain after Dhoni is Mohammad Azharuddin, who won 90 ODIs.
Dhoni captained in 199 ODIs, one short of the 200-club which consists of Ponting (230) and Stephen Fleming (218).
2. Dhoni made 6633 runs in ODIs as a captain which is second to Ponting’s 8497 runs. Dhoni’s average is 53.92 in ODIs as captain which is second to AB de Villiers, who has scored 4219 runs while playing 87 ODIs as captain and has an average of 65.92.
3. Dhoni has hit 126 sixes as captain of the ODI team and surpassed the previous record of Ponting (123) when he hit a six in his last series as captain against New Zealand at Mohali.
4. Dhoni has won 15 Man of the Match awards as an ODI team captain. Sanath Jayasuriya, Ricky Ponting and Arjuna Ranatunga have all won 19 Man of the Match awards.
5. In winning causes in an ODI match, Dhoni has an average of 70.83 which third-highest by any captain among the captains who has scored a minimum of 1000 runs in winning causes.
6. Dhoni remained not out for 26 times in successful ODI chases, which is the highest, followed by Arjuna Ranatunga who has 22 such innings.
7. Under MS Dhoni as an ODI captain, 65 players have played, which is fourth by any captain. Brian Lara holds this record with 68 players playing under his leadership.
8. Dhoni’s win/loss ratio in multi-tournament finals is 1.750, which is the best for any Indian captain. Azharuddin has a ratio of 1.375 and he ranks second in the list.
9. Dhoni has 67 overseas ODI wins as captain which is the second most. Ponting holds this record with a win of more than 100 matches.
10. Dhoni has nine centuries in ODI, among which there are 2 centuries which he has scored at No. 7, which is the most by any batsman.
11. Dhoni scored 183* against Sri Lanka on 31 October 2005 in Jaipur which is the highest by a wicketkeeper in ODI cricket.
|MS Dhoni captaincy Records:
|Most wins in ODI as a Captain
|Most wins in overseas ODIs:
12. Dhoni is the first wicketkeeper in the world to effect in 100 ODI stumping dismissals.
MS Dhoni Captaincy Records in T20 Format:
Ms Dhoni T20 record which the whole world will remember to win the first-ever T20 world cup in South Africa against Pakistan in the year of 2007.
1. Dhoni has scored 1112 runs in T20Is and is the first captain to cross the 1000-run mark. Faf du Plessis is the second captain to do so.
2. Dhoni holds the record of the most runs scored in T20Is without scoring a fifty in any of them.
3. Dhoni also holds the record of most number of catches (47) as wicketkeeper in T20Is.
4. Dhoni holds the joint record for most catches as wicketkeeper in a single T20I innings (4).
5. Dhoni also holds the record of playing consecutive T20I innings without getting out on a duck (65).
MS Dhoni Captaincy Records in IPL:
Ms Dhoni Ipl records are something which each and every skipper would love achieve as he played the most final matches as a captain in IPL.
1. He has become the first cricketer to win 150 T20 matches after Chennai won the final against Hyderabad.
3. Dhoni is the first captain to lead his team in 150 IPL matches, which he achieved in a match on April 28.
|MS Dhoni captaincy Records:
|Most wins in IPL as a Captain (Min 100 Matches)
|Chennai Super Kings
Rising Pune Super Giants
|Kolkata Knight Riders
|Royal Challengers Bangalore
4. He has the maximum stumping dismissal to his name (33) after he stumped Kane Williamson in the final.
5. Dhoni crossed 5000 runs as IPL captain and is the first to do so when he reached the mark against Bangalore on April 25.
6. He broke Gambhir’s record of most runs as IPL captain when he scored 22-ball 51 against Delhi on April 30.
7. Dhoni has now become the wicketkeeper with most number of T20 catches (144), as he reached the feat when he took a catch against Punjab on May 20.
8. MS Dhoni along with Rohit Sharma are the two captains who have won the IPL title three times.
Top 10 MS Dhoni records to watch:
Here we will discuss some extraordinary MS Dhoni records that he has achieved:
Ms Dhoni records which he sets as a player is something astonishing feat which will always be in the heart of Ms Dhoni fans.
1.Most No of stumping behind the wickets: Mahendra Singh Dhoni has got the Most stamping in cricket history of India records to his name, Team India’s long hunt for a good wicket-keeper batsman come to an end when the Ranchi boy made his debut for India.
2.Most Number of Sixes as a captain in international cricket: One of the greatest MS Dhoni records is he has hit the most No of Maximum as a captain of a nation in International matches, in his prolonged captaincy MS Dhoni has hit total 204 sixes which most by any skipper.
3.The most expensive Willow: Ms. Dhoni holds the record to use the most expensive bat in the history of cricket, that bat which Dhoni used in the 2011 final against Sri Lanka that was sold for £100,000 in an event at London.
5.Wins Most Number of tosses in T20 cricket as a captain: we all know that when it comes to luck it supports the brave one and the brazen characteristic MS Dhoni wins the most Number of tosses as a captain in the shorter format of the game.
6.He is the fastest player to reach the No 1 position in the ICC ODI rankings: The wicket-keeper batsman is the only player who has created a world record to reach the No.1 spot in the ICC batsman list in just 42 innings; it is one of the craziest MS Dhoni records which he has.
7.Most No of the international matches as a captain: Mahi is the only captain in this cricket world who has to lead any country for 331 international matches and creates a new history with his scintillating captaincy for the Men in Blue team.
8.Most No. of not out in the history of International cricket: MS Dhoni records unravel that he is the player who stays not out in 78 innings which were highest by anyone in the 50 over format.
9.Most No. Of centuries batting at No.7: Though we all know how many match-winning innings MS Dhoni has scored for team India after batting at No .7, and he is the only player in the world who has scored two centuries in their name despite batting at this position.
10.Only player to win the cricket world cup with a six: there is no better finisher than the Dhoni in the modern-day cricket and in the mammoth final match against Sri Lanka he has played his best innings for the team India and scored the winning runs with a maximum which is an unbelievable feat to achieve by any player.
MS Dhoni Captaincy record:5 Interesting feat Dhoni achieved as a captain:
Here is some astonishing Dhoni records list to watch,
1.Only captain to win three major ICC trophies: Mahendra Singh Dhoni is the only captain in this cricket fraternity to claim all the three major ICC trophies like T20 World Cup, ICC Cricket World Cup, and ICC Champions Trophy.
In the year of 2007 under his captaincy team, Indian won their maiden T20 world cup in South Africa by defeating their arch-rivals Pakistan in the finals, in the year of 2011 Indian lifted the world cup trophy for the second time after 28 years in Mumbai where they defeated their neighboring country Sri Lanka in the Final, In 2013 Indian claim the ICC Champions trophy under Mahi.
In 2011 world cup final, the Indian skipper got awarded with the Man of the match trophy because of his outstanding 91* runs in the tensed situation and he ended their world cup quest with a six in the final.
2.Most International matches as a captain: The former skipper of Men In Blue Mahendra Singh Dhoni has led team Indian in331 International matches which were most by anyone as a captain.
In these matches team, Indian won 178 matches under his vision and lost 120 matches and the rest 20 matches end up as a tie, under his captaincy the winning percentage was (53.77%) for team India, Only the former Australian skipper and the former South African skipper, Ricky Ponting with (67.90%) and Graeme Smith(56.99%) is leading as a captain who led their country for more than 200 or plus matches.
3.Most Overseas matches win as a captain: In One day format of the cricket the wicket-keeper batsman is the one and the only captain under his wing Team India has won the most number of ODI matches in overseas.
The Men in Blue has won 67 matches outside India in the leadership of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, again the former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting is the one and the only skipper who is leading the charts ahead of Dhoni with 104 ODI wins in overseas.
Apart from that, the 38-year-old has attained a great feat of the leading team in six editions of World T20.
4.Most T20 matches win as a captain: Dhoni has set an unmatchable record of Most No of wins as a captain in the T20 format.
The indomitable has captained the All Blues in 72 T20 matches out of which they won 41 matches in all competitions, Former Ireland captain William Porterfield is sitting at the second spot after Dhoni with 26 wins out of his 56 matches and the West Indian all-rounder Darren Sammy is sitting at the third spot with his 27 match wins out of 47 matches.
The Ranchi boy is the only captain who managed to win 150 T20 matches including domestic matches (IPL).
5.The only captain to whitewash Team Australia in Australia in the 21st century: Under the captaincy of MS Dhoni, in the year of 2016 team, India has won all the T20 matches against the Aussies in Australia.
Though in that series the Aussie skipper won the tosses team Indians made clear their intention and won all the matches against them at their home soil.
The present Indian skipper Virat Kholi named man of the match in two occasions out of three matches, after facing a low-down 4-1 loss in the ODI series; the Men in Blue took perfect revenge in the T20 series against Australia.
The unstoppable Virat Kohli named Man of the series in the T20 series with his 199 runs in three matches and on the other hand the young Jasprit Bumrah got the attention of everyone with his six wickets in three matches.
Here in this article, we have narrated Ms Dhoni all records which he has achieved as a player and as a skipper for his club and country.
MS Dhoni Captaincy Record in ODI world cup:
MS Dhoni, the previous Captain of the Indian cricket crew, had an extraordinary record as chief in the ICC ODI World Cup. Under his administration, India made critical progress, remembering winning the competition for 2011. Here are the subtleties of Dhoni’s captaincy record in the ODI World Cup:
2007 ICC World Cup (West Indies):
Dhoni’s most memorable World Cup as skipper.
India arrived at the gathering stage however neglected to progress to the Very 8 phase.
Played 3 matches, won 2, lost 1.
2011 ICC World Cup (India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh):
Dhoni drove India to their subsequent World Cup triumph, following a hole of 28 years.
India won 7 out of 8 matches, losing just to South Africa in the gathering stage.
Dhoni played an essential innings of 91* in the last against Sri Lanka, assisting India with winning the competition.
2015 ICC World Cup (Australia, New Zealand):
Dhoni captained India to the semi-finals.
India won 6 out of 7 matches in the gathering stage, losing just to Australia.
Lost to Australia in the semi-finals and was taken out of the competition.
2019 ICC World Cup (Britain and Ridges):
Dhoni’s last World Cup as skipper.
India arrived at the semi-finals however were killed by New Zealand.
Won 7 out of 9 matches in the gathering stage.
Dhoni’s unbeaten 50 in the semi-last match was adequately not to get triumph.
In general, Dhoni had an exceptional captaincy record in the ODI World Cup, driving India to triumph in 2011 and directing them to the semi-finals in three out of four World Cups he captained.
Read out cricket quotes of legendary players