Table Of Content
The Argentina international Lionel Messi, who is currently playing for the Spanish giant FC Barcelona was suspended for insulting a match official during Argentina's 1-0 win over Chile in March.
— The Sun Football âš½ (@TheSunFootball) May 4, 2017
The incident was not punished during the game and a Brazilian official said he not realize at the time that Messi was swearing at him.
But according to a recent televised report by Hernan Castillo of ESPN FC in Argentina, the 29-year-old star forward Lionel Messi will have his four-match ban reduced, boosting his country's chances of qualifying for next year's World Cup.
And Messi has already missed one 2018 World Cup qualifier, a 2-0 defeat away to Bolivia. He currently has three games remaining to serve, an away game in Uruguay and home matches against Venezuela and Peru and Argentina has four remaining World Cup qualifiers. The ban was viewed as a massive blow for the team's chances of qualifying for the World Cup next year, as it currently sits in fifth place in CONMEBO.
"There is somewhat of a promise from FIFA to the Argentine officials that the ban will be reduced," according to Castillo's report during the ESPN FC show in Argentina.
Messi's lawyer, Juan de Dios Crespo indicated that they "left feeling satisfied with the appeal."
"I think we did a very good job," De Dios Crespo told ESPN FC Radio in Argentina.
"FIFA has asked us not to comment a lot on the subject. Once they announce their decision I will speak more."
"They must study the case now. It is possible that next week FIFA will announce a decision."
Argentina is also currently without a head coach after the dismissal of their former head coach Edgardo Bauza last month.
And the favorite to take over the national team job is current Sevilla FC’s coach Jorge Sampaoli. If he is the man to get Argentina to the World Cup, having the five times ballon d’Or Lionel Messi will certainly help those chances.