Table Of Content
According to the latest sources, the English man and India head coach Stephen Constantine has been asked to take temporary charge of the under-17 squad preparing for World Cup later this year.
— HT Sports (@HTSportsNews) February 13, 2017
The English man Stephen Constantine, who is currently managing the Indian national football team himself steered clear of the controversy that led to Nicolai Adam’s resignation as under-17 World Cup team’s coach and also admitted that he is available and have no problem to help the India U17 squad get ready for the mega-event later this year.
As Constantine has said before in an interview, when he was in Siliguri for Kolkata derby, “The under-17 team is not in my domain and hence I don’t want to react to what happened. However, I have told the AIFF (All India Football Federation) that I am available. Now, it is really up to them,”
And previously the former FIFA Regional Development Officer for South and Central Asia, Shaji Prabhakaran admitted Constantine could be asked to step in as a temporary measure.
As Prabhakaran said,
“I think his presence will motivate the boys; they will be training under the man who coaches Sunil Chhetri, someone most of these teenagers look up to.
“It will also send a good message across that the AIFF has stepped in with the best resource available. As it is, most national teams function on the principle that the senior team coach’s vision runs through the youth set-up. Also, during my time with AIFF, I remember Constantine taking charge of the youth team in his first stint as India coach,”
And now according to the sources in the All Indian Football Federation (AIFF), it was learnt that AIFF president Mr. Praful Patel asked Constantine to go to Goa for a week on Thursday, as the Indian under-17 squad has resumed training in Goa last week.
While the Sports Authority of India (SAI), the federation has started the process of finding a new coach but it is unlikely to happen soon.