Ronaldo Believes Salah Would End Ballon d’Or Domination

The Portugal and Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo believes that Mohamed Salah has pushed himself into the Ballon d’Or reckoning.

Football news: Salah is fit for the World Cup and might face Ronaldo in the knockout stages

The Egyptian and Liverpool star has enjoyed his debut campaign at the Anfield and had been the star man for the team, scoring 44 goals across all competitions.

However his season ended badly as he suffered a shoulder injury in the Champions League finals and left the pitch in tears. Liverpool lost the match against Real Madrid by 3-1 goals.

There were fears in the Egypt camp whether Salah would become fit or miss the World Cup. However he had travelled to Russia with his national team and could now be fit for their opening game against Uruguay.

Cristiano Ronaldo has lavished huge amounts of praise for the 25-year-old Liverpool player for his incredible debut campaign at Anfield.

"Mo Salah has been one of the revelations of the year," Ronaldo said.

"I hope his injury in the final in Kiev doesn't keep him out.

"Many people talk about the Cristiano Ronaldo-Messi battle but there are other players who have chances to enter the race (for Ballon d'Or). The Egyptian is one of them."

More than 10 years have passed since a player other than Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have won the Ballon d’Or.

Egypt and Portugal are in Group A and B respectively and a Salah-Ronaldo clash might be on the cards in the last 16 stage.

Portugal will open their World Cup campaign against Spain on Friday and Ronaldo believes that it would be a tricky start for the European Champions.

"It’s not ideal but the draw has given us this tie and we have to accept it," Ronaldo added.

“A defeat on the first day puts you in a bad way for the rest of the tournament so it’s important to start well. But I believe both Spain and Portugal will reach the next round,” said Ronaldo.

Facebook Comments