Table Of Content
The Sikkimese Bhaichung Bhutia Born in the year of 1976 15th December and he is the Epitome in the modern Indian Football.
The 40-year-old is former Indian international and also in his footballing career he represented India for 104 times and scored 40 goals for them, people nickname him as a Sikkimese sniper because of his outstanding shooting skill.
The 40-year-old footballer has won three times Indian player of the year award.
In the year of 1993 at the age of sixteen Bhaichung Bhutia joined the Kolkata Giants East Bengal club, he played his football two years with the red and Gold and after that, he went to the JCT Mills and there he won the Indian football league with them in 1996-97,
In that season Bhaichung Bhutia was the top scorer and after that league, he got his first cap for team India in Nehru cup,
In the year of 1996, he was named the Indian player of the year.
In 1997 Bhichung Bhutia made his return to his first club East Bengal and he scored a hat-trick in the Kolkata derby against Mohun Bagan, in the year of 1998 season he has become the captain of East Bengal club and in that season under his captaincy East Bengal club finished in the second spot behind Salgaocar in the I league.
Bhaichung Bhutia won the Arjuna Award in 1999, this award is given by the Government of India after their outrageous achievements in the field of sports.
On that same year Bhaichung Bhutia traveled to England to play his football with the Bury side, he is the second Indian player to play his football in Europe after Mohammed Salim, he was tied up with the Bury side for three years and with the deal he becomes that first Indian footballer who signed for European club.
Also, he gave his trails with Fulham, West Bromwich Albion, and Aston Villa, after that he had some Vosa problem and then he finally made his debut against Cardiff City on 3rd October 1999.
On April 15, 2000, he scored his first goal for the European side against Chesterfield, in his final year with the Bury side he picked up an injury and was only able to play three matches for them.
In the year of 2002 he returned to Indian and signed for the Kolkata giants Mohun Bagan but in that season he picked up an injury early in the season and didn’t play a single match for them in that season after that in the next season he against joined the East Bengal Club and held the Red and Gold side to win the ASEAN Club Championship.
In the final, he scored a goal against Tero Sasana and East Bengal side won that match comfortably by 3-1 goals, and he was awarded the man of the match award, in that championship he was the top scorer with nine goals,
In the year of 2003 he signed for the Malaysian club Perak FA, but in August 2003 he returned to the Kolkata giants East Bengal Club on loan,
Then in 2003 he permanently joined the East Bengal club and won the League with them, he continues his football with the Red and Gold side until 2006 and in that season he was awarded the player of the national football league by AIFF.
After that against he was signed by the Malaysian Selangor MK Land and made five appearances for them and scored one goal.
In 2006-2007 season he joined the Mohun Bagan side and formed a team with the Jose Ramirez Barreto, and in the 2007-08 season he scored 10 goals for them and in that season he received the Indian player of the season for the second time,
In the year of 2009, he quit Mohun Bagan for a reality show.
He played his last season with his first Club East Bengal,
He signed a one-year contract with the East Bengal side in 2009 and Bhaichung Bhutia declared this as his homecoming.
In the year of 2009 was a significant year of Bhaichung Bhutia as in that year he received his 100th cap for Team India against Kyrgyzstan, he is the first Indian footballer o receive that milestone.
In 2011 Bhauchung Bhutia played for Team Indian int he AFC Asian Cup in Quarter, where he was injured in the first two matches but in the match against South Korea he made his comeback in the second half but India lost that match against them by 4-1 goals.
15 most important Facts about the Sikkims Sniper.
1. Bhaichung Bhutia’s football journey started at SAI Gangtok, after that he joined the Sikkim’s Tashi Namgyal Academy, in 1992 he was named the best player in Subroto Cup along with former India international Bhaskar Ganguly.
2. he made his professional debut with the Kolkata giants East Bengal at the age of just 16, he played four seasons with the Red and Golds in early of his career, and also wishes to play his last professional game for them.
3. in 2003 Bhaichung scored eight goals in Asean club, which was his finest club career moment in his prolonged career, and in that year he helped East Bengal to claim the Asean club by claiming a goal in the final against Thailand’s BEC Tero Sasana.
4. also in that competition he has scored six goals alone against Army FC of Philippines.
5. in his career Bhaichung Bhutia has had two season with the East Bengal’s city rivals Mohun Bagan,in his second spell with them he helped Mohun Bagan to lift the Federation cup twice.
6. he was India’s youngest player to score a goal at the age of 19 in 1995 Nehru Cup, and with the help of his goal India won that match against Uzbekistan by 1-0 goals.
7. He is the second Indian player to play abroad after Mohammed Salim, he played three year spell at Bury in England, though he did not had a great time there because of his injury problems.
8. In his career he gave trials at English first division clubs like Aston Vila and at Fulham.
9. Bhaichung has won two time AIFF player of the year award, first in 1995 and the second one in 2008.
10. also in his career he has won the Arjun award, and the prestigious Padma shree award, and the only player to receive the award during his playing days.
11. in 2010 in a charity to the victims of Haiti Earthquake he scored a goal for Zidane XI against Benfica All Stars XI.
12. in 2010 Bhaichung has opened football schools in New Delhi, he opened it with the association with the Portuguese academy football.
13. on January 10, 2012 he played his last farewell match for Team India against Bayern Munich, on that day the German giants have gifted him a No
15. Jersey with the sign of the entire Bayern Munich squad.
14. in his career he has made 107 appearances for India and scored 43 goals.
15. right now he is the chairman of AIFF’S technical committee and the only Asian to be the member of FIFApro technical committee.