India has previously hoped that ICC would ban countries who harbor terrorism. But reportedly ICC has turned down the proposal. After the Pulwama attack, there were widespread cries of banning Pakistan from World Cup.
The BCCI had written a letter to ICC with a request previously. There BCCI pleaded ICC to ask other nations to break cricketing ties with nations who harbor terrorist. In the letter BCCI didn’t mention the name of Pakistan, but it was clearly implied.
The letter was sent by BCCI CEO Rahul Johri. He mentioned that the letter was send with permission from Committee of Administrators (CoA) and BCCI supervisory authority. However according to reports the ICC didn’t accept the request.
As per the reports from ESPNCricinfo, ICC believes it is not the appropriate body to take such decisions. ICC President Shashank Manohar took up the matter towards the end of quarterly Board meeting on Saturday. He mentioned that it would be not possible to follow the proposal as ICC’s primary concern is with cricket. As a result his speech clearly distanced ICC from the political turmoil.
The PCB officials didn’t raise any objection. However PCB chief Ehsan Mani asked over the security clearances of Pakistan players during the 2020 World T20 and the 2023 World Cup.
Both these tournaments will be held in India. Manohar in reply said that it will be the host’s obligation to issue visas for all visiting teams and match officials.
More Articles Related To Cricket:
- Rohit Sharma’s Unorthodox Shot Impresses Virat Kohli
- New Indian Jersey Revealed By BCCI For Next Season
ICC clears BCCI’s security concerns
BCCI also raised questions regarding its players’ security during the World Cup game in June 16 in Manchester. But now ICC has cleared that the players’ security will be of ‘paramount’ importance to the governing body of cricket.
David Richardson, the CEO of ICC said, “As you would expect for a global sporting event, the ICC, in partnership with the ECB has a robust security plan in place for the Men’s Cricket World Cup. We work closely with the authorities in our host countries to ensure that the safety of players, officials and fans is a priority.”
“Should those authorities raise the threat level of the event based on intelligence, we will of course uplift our security commitment as appropriate. We will continue to work with the ECB and our members throughout the build-up to and during the tournament to keep everyone abreast of the situation,” he added.